Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW

My wife is suffering from depression and she is aware of it.

My wife is suffering from depression and she is aware of it. We are not sure what is causing it but I am unable to help her through it and feel helpless. We discussed this morning and we are not sure should we both go or just her. I am willing to do whatever it takes to help her through this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I would suggest that both of you start at her initial psychiatrist and therapist appointment. The psychiatrist will give her an evaluation and start her on medications if needed. The therapist will help her work through what is causing the depression and how to best deal with it. Many of her appointments will be just her working through this but if you attend the initial meetings they will be able to work out a schedual where you will both be able to attend some of the appointments.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can help anymore!