Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

Hi-- i take fluoxetine/prozac and for the last few months or

Hi-- i take fluoxetine/prozac and for the last few months or so i have not taken it at all or i have taken it approx. 3 times --im supposed to take it everyday. i know that im not supposed to do that--ive just been really bad about taking it. i have been on it for approx 2 years but i dont think it really works, and i keep changing doctors bnbecasue they keep leaving or are they are terrible, so i don't really have a doctor i like or trust. anyway i have had severe headaches the last few days and im guessing its because i have stopped taking the fluoxetine. Should I just stop it all together? or should i start taking it again right away?not sure w3hat to do...
thanks for any advice
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 5 years ago.
It is very difficult to be able to tell if the medication is working unless it is taken consistently as prescribed. I think you should take the medication as prescribed, but be sure to schedule an appointment with either a new psychiatrist or the one you have seen before. If you take this medication appropriately until you see your physician, you can determine whether it really is or isn't working. You can discuss this with your doctor and hopefully receive assistance with alternate or additional medications. Hope this helps. Gina
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Gina--thanks--
i dont care so much about if the meds work bec like i said i have been taking it for 2 years--and just recently have stopped taking it and i know they dont work. what im worried about is the headaches. so you think i should just get back on them and make an appt with a doctor (i dont have a psychiatrist). and not continue to not take them---is that correct?
just want to be sure
thnx
Expert:  Gina P replied 5 years ago.
Yes, please take the medication as prescribed. You definintely want to schedule with a psychiatrist if possible. They have a different approach to antidepressants and psychiatric medications, and may be able to give you a different "cocktail" of medications that will actually work for you. But in the meantime, keep taking the Prozac as prescribed. Gina
Gina P, LCSW
Experience: MSW, LCSW, PIP