Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

Hello, my daughter is 15 she has been on lithium for about

my daughter is 15 she has been on lithium for about 4-5 weeks? If is working wonderful for her. Problem, she losing her hair which is a side effect is there anything we can do to counter this side effect vitiams, shampoo, things she eats? a special brush that will pull less hair out? She is also under a lot of stress she been in placement for almost a year. Could this be adding to loss of hair. We would really like to see if the is anything we can do. She has tried different meds already. We would really like to try to keep her on lithium as she has done extremely well. Because if we start changes meds again to get the result we are getting could be long and frustrating to daughter which may cause more stress or irrbility
Can you help me.
Thank you Claudia
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 7 years ago.
Lithium sometimes messes with the thyroid which can cause the hair loss. Since she is doing so well with this medication, it is not advisable to change. Some possible alternate treatments would be to take additional minerals such as zinc, selenium or iron and vitamins B12, A, C, B6. Biotin also is excellent for hair and nail growth.

There may be more options in a local salon with the products that are offered. There are also some salons who use low light type treatments to actually increase the production of hair growth. These are non surgical, pain free and are used many times even for cancer patients. Here is a website for this:
They have branches all over the US.

At her age it is important to have good hair! But it is also an age where many females are trying things sucah as extensions or hair pieces to enhance what they already have. Hope this helps. Gina
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any other suggestions, these were good but I need as much info as possible especialy for the fee.

Things like what she can eat shampoos etc?
Expert:  Gina P replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Thank you for responding. Any foods with the above mentioned nutrients would be good. Also Brown rice, carrots, black beans, seaweed, leafy green vegetables, onions are all good.

Foods to avoid would be anything with monosodium glutamate, hydrogenated oil (use olive oil instead) processed sugar, foods with artificial color, avoid splenda, anything with artificial or chemical processing such as frozen pizza, etc.

The salons will offer many products to assist in hair growth and vitality, but the nutrients really should come from the inside and from healthy eating and vitamins. Most of the hair products are superficial treatments, but may assist with a good conditioning which would stop hair breakage. The "Chi" products are very good for repairing damage and encouraging thicker growth. They are a little pricier than some of the others, but may be worth the price.

Please let me know if you have other questions. Gina