Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP

I have gained 40 pounds in last year on Zyprexa. Now taking

I have gained 40 pounds in last year on Zyprexa. Now taking Metformin. Will Metformin help lose weight or just help to stabilize. I am now obese 180 at 5 6 female.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Metformin is used for diabetes, non insulin. It does have a positive effect in helping with weight loss if the weight is associated with elevated insulin in the body. The Metformin reduces glucose levels which in turn causes fewer hunger pains, thus less eating. But you should also continue to eat healthy foods and exercise to assist you with you health.
The Zyprexa does increase have a risk of elevated glucose as a side effect, so if this is the cause of the weight gain, then the Metformin should help with that.
If you are still experiencing depression, you may still need an anti depressant. There are a few which are not as likely to cause weight gain such as Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, and Prozac (SSRIs). Hope this helps. Gina