Gina P
Gina P, LCSW
Experience:  MSW, LCSW, PIP
19637974

I take 125 mg of pristiq a day and 2.5 mg abilify a day and

I take 125 mg of pristiq a day and 2.5 mg abilify a day and just got prescribed 100 mg of wellbutrin per day (to help with low libido). I am wondering if it is really dangerous to smoke pot while on these medications? Does it make them ineffective? I figure the answer is not to do it, but thought I would check. My doctor knows I sometimes smoke, and says it makes my meds stop working. Is this true?   

Thanks,

-'Denial'
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Gina P replied 7 years ago.
Hi, Yes, your doctor is correct. The illegal substances are usually stronger and more potent. And a substance such as marijuana is a depressant so it does conteract your antidepressants. As I am sure you know this substance can stay in your system and effect your chemicals for up to about 45 days, so there may be residual interactions as well for this length of time. Hope this helps. Gina