Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

Can bipolar manic condition cause slurred speech, slobbering,

Customer Question

Can bipolar manic condition cause slurred speech, slobbering, and affect motor skills if in a high state?? I had been awake about 4 days when theses conditons occured.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.
Good Morning,

Slurred speech or psychomotor retardation usually occur during severe depressive episode (or may be caused by medication)

In a manic state, a person can appear hyper, more energetic, hyperverbal, etc.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been seen by phsychiatrist in the past and have read my records and they stated that I was manic and speech was pressured and slurred. But I had an incident about 6 months ago with the police and got got pulled over at 5 am and had not been drinking. I was unable to sleep and went for a drive, which I had done in the past, to maybe help me go to sleep. Well I remember parts of the incidents and not parts as well. This happened in March I think and when I tead police report my answers made absolutely on sense. I said the date was November 16 etc, etc,
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.
A person can display behaviors not otherwise common during both manic and depressive episode. If the officer had performed a sobriety field test or breath analysis for alcohol consumption and they had turned negative, then you can assume that the symptoms were either a manifestation of the disorder or a side effect from medications used to treat it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I take 2 narcotics, which I have prescriptons for. Hydrocone and Klonopin. But had not taken either within about 10 hours of this event. And furthermore I had not taken the klonopin at all the the night before as we were trying new meds as a low dose of klonopin was not helping me.
The last 2 meds I had taken were at 9pm the night prior and were thorazine and abilify. I am not certain what my contition was at this time but from what I have read from what you wrote the symptoms I described to you are possible from the illness and not the medications.
I go to the VA and they keep switching my doctors and it is very difficult to get a hold on all of this
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.
Its possible to have been either - meds or the symtoms. Some times its hard to predict how a person will react to a medication and a dossage.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So it is possible for my condtion to have been caused by my illness and not the meds is what you are saying right??
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.
What was said was that it can be EITHER the medication OR the symptoms (there is no concrete way of knowing (unless you experience same/similar behaviors- the prescribing doc will have to decide) Mine is an educated guess)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There in lies my problem. My Doctor went on a medical leave and I have now learned he will not be back. And the VA is very secretive and discreet and I have no way of contacting him.
I have a new Doc now and saw her once and she was unwilling to write anything about this as most VA doctors are espescially after only seeing me once.
I am not trying to be concrete on this issue at all. I just need to know that it is possible for me to present these symptoms and they do not have to be caused by my medication, as they are trying to charge me with DUI drugs and I do not feel this is the case.
The officer wrote that my speech was slurred, and I was slobbering, amd unsteady on my feet.
So I guess the fact is it is impossible to tell what may have caused it??
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.
You are correct, no one on line should give a diagnosis. The officer could have completed the two test I mentioned to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I said I was negative for alcohol and consented to urine test and I know there were 2 narcotics in my system at the time   hydrocodone and klonopin.But neither of these were taken at least 10 hours before this incident occured.
I am not looking for a diagnosis this is a criminal case I have to attend all I am looking for, from a professional. is it possible for me to exhibit these symptoms from my illness. I have other diagnosis as well including personality disorder. I have a vast array of diagnosis but the most consistant is bipolar disorder.

I seem to think you are saying both scenarios are possible here??
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.
Drugs can remain in the system and can influence how one behaves. Mental symptoms also can influence ones behavior.

Edited by Dr. Rossi on 9/20/2009 at 5:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I like that answer and will accept something similiar but can we start over and i re ask the question and you give me the answer i am looking for?? This is too much for lawyer to dig and ramble through.