Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hi, have been on prozac for most of the past 10 yrs, and it

Hi, have been on prozac for most of the past 10 yrs, and it has helped me enormously. Latterly I was taking 1 every other day - no problem apart from the stigma of taking antidepressants.
Stopped taking it in january as I wanted to try HRT (am 56) for general tiredness and hot flushes. The HRT I was given gave me extremely sore breasts and my doctor didnt offer an alternative so I stopped it. I kept off prozac.
Its now september, I run my own stressful business, without support, along with the usual responsibilities of kids and home.
Life is increasingly difficult with lethargy, irritability and fatigue. My dilemma is should I concede defeat and return to prozac or try a different HRT?
I value your feedback. Thank you K Howarth
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well , whether your symptoms are a direct implication of depression or if they are due to post menopausal syndrome , will dictate whether you should start on prozac or HRT , because prozac being an SSRI anti dperessant needs to be started if you are suffering from depression or anxiety or both , but if it is the PMS ( post menopausal syndrome ) , then HRT , DIFFERENT FROM WHAT YOU TRIED PREVIOUSLY WOULD BE the remedy .

So, i suggest that you ask your doctor to evaluate your symptoms and based on your symptoms come up with a definitive diagnosis of depression or PMS , AND based on this , he should start you on either anti depressant like prozac or on HRT , AS THE TREATMENT should be diagnose related , only then it will work.

I hope this helps...

I wish you all the best and rapid recovery to the best of health.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.