Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hello can dr kaushick answer this plz.Hi i was very pleased

Hello can dr kaushick answer this plz.Hi i was very pleased about the response i got about prozac being tolerable ie no anxiety worsening when i asked my gp he said prozac is known
to be more likley to cause intail anxiety now iam confused i guess you are a senior psychirtrist
i could trusy more your opinoin but can you explain why he said this becase prozac has a longer half life so i guess its less likely to cause those problems.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i still stick to what i told you back then , that as compared to other anti depresants , Prozac is the least likely to cause initial anxiety that you dread , simply because of its slow onset of action , which gives the body enough time to adapt to its effect , and thereby does not react immediately by causing initial anxiety , while other SSRI's and other anti depressants have quick onset of action , and also they have a shorter half life as compared to prozac , and that is why they are more likely to cause initial anxiety , and also for the same reason of shorter half life they are more succeptible to withdrawal symptoms as well..And let me also telll you that whenever there is any withdrawal symptom of any other SSRI anti depressant , and there is no other alternative but to re introduce a new anti depressant ,so because of its this feature , prozac is the one which is used to treat the withdrawal symptoms of the ssri's .

So, i will again advise to opt for prozac , and i really do not know what reasoning your gp might be having for his such comments , i am totally unaware of that , but you may ask him to support his claims , as i did send you the link previously to back my claims.

kindly see the link below and see the pharmacokinetics of fluoxetine , which will show its metabolism in the body .

I hope this helps...

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then wil i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok i got concerned about the akasthenia restlessness and inner tension that it says is

a common side effect.

Well , common side effects mean the side effects which can occur more commonly as compared to any other side effects of the drug , but it does not mean that theseside effects occur frequently,ihope you appreciate the difference between the two meanings plus , as compared to other drugs , such side effects are rare to occur . From my personal clinical experience , i have not encountered anyone having such initial restlessness and anxiety side effect with the use of prozac .

I hope this helps..