Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

over what time frame can a person with diagnosed SAD and bipolar

Customer Question

over what time frame can a person with diagnosed SAD and bipolar come of a prescribed dose of efexor xr 300mg /day.it is the start of spring when person wants to go off the efexor thanks.Ron
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

Good Morning,

It may not be a good idea to get off of psychotropic medication(s) during the change of seasons (especially if someone has a diagnosis of bipolar which, requires medication in order to keep symptoms at least at a base line)

For SAD, what may be helpful is the use of a blue spectrum light. One company that had done a lot of research on their product is GloLite. The best time to start using the blue light is at the end of summer and into the spring. This helps regulate the 24 h/sleep rhythm and this helps with the depression that manifest in the fall in people with SAD.

You may want to consult with the prescribing physician about their take on getting off of the effexor by tapering you off of it (yet, I think that medication and a blue light may be effective when used together) If a person with bipolar disorder is not medicated, they can still lapse into depression or become manic irregardless of the seasonal changes.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i know it may not be good idea but should it take 1 week 2week 3 or 4 when u half does at each step
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 5 years ago.

it generally takes as long as for the medication to start work initially about 4 weeks (consult with the prescribing MD to see what they thin is better)

People can have withdrawal symtoms if they stop the meds too fast.