Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

When does one really know if one needs a therapist also if

When does one really know if one needs a therapist also if one decides to visit one what should i expect?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
This is an excellent question!
One needs a therapist when the issue(s) are such that a degree of expertise, training, and experience is required in addressing it. One needs a therapist when one cannot constantly ask friends and loved ones for assistance without over asking to the point of damaging the relationship. One needs a therapist when one requires some one who will be absolutely honest and not need to protect ones own feelings. Lastly one needs a therapist when one is unable to answer the questions that will allow an individual to grow, meet needs and live as productive a life as is possible.

What one should expect from s therapist is that you are not a paycheck or the 7pm appointment and that your improvement reigns supreme. One should expect from a therapist an individual who is non judgemental and allies themselves with those things that are required to live a rich fufilling life. One should expect from a therapist a person who will not tell you what to do, but will answer questions to help you decide on alterbnatives, and strategies that allow you to meet your needs and fufill your goals. Lastly, One should expect from a therapist an individual who has established firn boundaries so one can be sure that they are not being taken advantage of.

There are many other reasons to seek therapy, and expectations to have of a thertapist, but these certainly cover the basics of why you need a thertapist and what you should expect from a therapist Course 101.

Ralph LMHC
Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.