Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Ive just lost my father one month ago. I have woken- up crying

Customer Question

I've just lost my father one month ago. I have woken- up crying so hard that I can hardly catch my breath. I sleep for about 7 hours some times less, go to school full time, have my own business and find time to workout 4 days a week. Cardio and weights. I'm 5 "9 and 140 but with muscles size 4 jeans. It seems that when the anxiety comes it's so overwhelming I can hardly handle it. I have actually left work because of having a melt down. I feel as if I'm having a heartattack or I'm just going to lose complete control. The anxiety may start from the time I wake up until the middle of the day Or it may happen in the afternoon and go until 4 am.I don't want to be put on med's but what esle can I do. No med's if possible. I'm having good days and bad day.I'm not a sad person. I'm a social butterfly for sure and please help me get through this. My father was my best friend....He was my life... I stay pretty busy however I still find myself sliding. Please help
Submitted: 7 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Bereavement is a normal process after the loss of some one so significant as your dad. It is usually not treated until some time has passed, unless it is so debilitating as yours is. The first approach is psychotherapy-cognitive behavioral therapy. You learn to change your thinking and acting and your feelings change. This has been backed up by scientific studies.   You may need an assist with some anti-depressant meds, but even they take 3-6 weeks to effect a positive change. Anxiolytic benzodiapines such as Klonapin, Valium, and Ativan are a short term immediate actingt help for the anxiety and the panic and something you should consider while the anti-depressants and the therapy kick in. The pain will not disappear, there will always be a void, but it will reduce and become bearable. So start therapy with the CBT therapist, see a psychiatrist for meds and give everything time to work
Ralph Atlas LMHC
Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You know I know this from taking Psychology. Thanks for the same answer I have and very well do understand. I thought I was getting a professional advise but as I read the small print you may not even be a professional. Pretty sad that this site is faker. Thanks anyway. If your a doctor in psyschology then it should stamp and approved not reveiling your license number. See the guy above come that says he agrees come on... whatever... I have a friend who is psychlogist so I will go to her. Thank you for your services
I am sorry you were dissatisidied. I am a licensed mental health counselor providing general advice not treatment. The positive thing is you do not have to pay for anything , and may get your deposit back by contacting customer service. Despite all I am sorry to hear of your loss and do send sincere condolences. I am glad you the professional trsource to use.

Ralph LMHC