Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

i was online and asking about my son who hears voices, Ralph

Customer Question

i was online and asking about my son who hears voices, Ralph was answering my question. My computer booted me off how can I now read the answer
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
I sent it. Open the question again. If does not appear I will copy and resend it.
Ralph LMHC
I would definitely have concerns especially since the voices "tell him to do things...crazy stuff". I would monitor him closely and have him evaluated as soon as possible by a child psychiatrist. I would also ask him to describe what the "crazy stuff" is and if it presents as a danger to him or others not wait and take him to the emergancy room to be evaluated. I am hesitant to label him with the diagnostic impression of Childhood Onset Schizophrenia with such a limited amount of data, especially since it is quite rare occurring in only 1 in every 40,000 children. However given the apparent negatives in all the other areas I would be concerned, but again I would not overreact and jump to conclusions until a proper evaluation is given. I am going to give you a web site for childhood onset schizophrenia.

Most importantly now is to 1. ask about the nature of the possible hallucinations. 2. If the commands are destructive to self or others take him to the emergency room as soon as feasible and closely monitor until then. 3. If an emergency contact is not required, have him evaluated as soon as possible and continue to monitor. Remember if he is scared, he is looking to you as a parent for safety, so maintain a calm strength which will be reassuring to him.

Sincerely, XXXXX
Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.