Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

my son hears vioces and they scare him. they are worse at night

Customer Question

my son hears vioces and they scare him. they are worse at night and when he first wakes up in the morning. he is 13 yrs. old, he said he remembers hearig them several years ago but never said anything, now they are worse. does this sound like schizophrenia?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
Allow me to ask some questions if I may. Has your son acted oddly in any other way. Has he developed and achieved normal milestones on time-walk, talk, toilet trained, reading, etc? Does he report seeing anything? Is there any history of mental illness in the family. Does your son have a very vivd imagination or fantasy life? Does he say that the voices are real or are they coming from him. Doe he hear these voices when he is awake or while sleeping, or both? Lastly do the voices tell him do do anything? Upon receiving the answers to my questions I will attempt to answer your question

Ralph LMHC
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no odd behavoirs have been noticed, all milestones were reached on time. he reports no visual hallucinations. Uncle had obsessive comp d/o, but not severe. I (his mother) have been on medication for anxiety issues. he says the voices sound like people talking and sometimes say bad words. He hears them when he is awake but he says they also wake him up. He says the voices tell him to do things, what he calls "crazy stuff"
I would definitely have concerns especially since the voices "tell him to do things...crazy stuff". I would monitor him closely and have him evaluated as soon as possible by a child psychiatrist. I would also ask him to describe what the "crazy stuff" is and if it presents as a danger to him or others not wait and take him to the emergancy room to be evaluated. I am hesitant to label him with the diagnostic impression of Childhood Onset Schizophrenia with such a limited amount of data, especially since it is quite rare occurring in only 1 in every 40,000 children. However given the apparent negatives in all the other areas I would be concerned, but again I would not overreact and jump to conclusions until a proper evaluation is given. I am going to give you a web site for childhood onset schizophrenia.

Most importantly now is to 1. ask about the nature of the possible hallucinations. 2. If the commands are destructive to self or others take him to the emergency room as soon as feasible and closely monitor until then. 3. If an emergency contact is not required, have him evaluated as soon as possible and continue to monitor. Remember if he is scared, he is looking to you as a parent for safety, so maintain a calm strength which will be reassuring to him.

Ralph LMHC
Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.

Thank you for the accept. Please remain calm and wait until all the data is in.
Ralph LMHC