Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Hello this is a question for dr kaushick my question is ive

Hello this is a question for dr kaushick my question is ive read a bit about neurogensis
in adults and that i think something about adult education creating more connections in the brain of adults also neruogensis is it possible in yr experience that adult education like colleage or uni can do this.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Do you mean to ask that adult education such as college education can stimulate adult neurogenesis ? is this your question , kindly confirm ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes and also from what i read new connections over time and thicker dentries

Well, you have raked up a very interesting and yet to be concluded topic about Neurogenesis in adult humans . I will try to explain what is neurogenesis and how it occurs after birth in mammals including humans , and what stimulates it .

You see it has always been believed that a human is born with a fixed number of neurons ( brain cells ) in the brain , because all the neurogenesis ( neuron synthesis ) takes place before birth during the fetal life . However , later , a theory came up , which stated that after birth ,throughout the human adult life there is increase in number of connections ( synapses ) between neurons and also there is increase in the number of dendrities surrounding the neurons , although the number of neurons remain the same.

And , NOW THE LATEST THEORY that has come up , states that , even after birth , neurons are being produced but not in the entire brain , but in an area called as Hippocampus , which is responsible for memory and learning , and because of the Neurogenesis in the hippocampus , the man can have a good memory as well as he learns throughou life , having said that this theory of neurogenesis in adult hippocampus leading to sustainence of memory and learning , this is still to be confirmed by carrying out experiments on vertebrate animals .

So, as far as Adult education such as college education ,stimulating Neurogenesis in hippocamapal part of brain is concerned ,such a theory has just been postulated , but not confirmed , although along side studies , any physical activity , and hormones like testosterone are also considered as the stimulants of Neurogenesis in adult humans , thereby helping in our memory and learning skills as put forth by some researchers , but nothing concluding on this study has been finalised as yet and confirmed , so all these are as of now just theories and they are yet to be proved by researchers so that they can be considered as facts .

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.