Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW

I am 37 years old - divorced and my mother lives with me. She

I am 37 years old - divorced and my mother lives with me. She is extremely demanding, obsessive and treats me like a 2 year old. She is 73 and is alway emotionally tackling me.
Since i was the youngest child, i always gave in to her but now I find it hard to deal with the situation and coming from a traditional indian family i feel it my obligation to serve during her old age. my life seems to be on hold - my work stress and constant watch from her is driving me crazy don't know how to go about life any longer and just going through it like a robot
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for usuing JustAnswer!

I commend you for taking in your mother and taking care of her.

I would suggest starting strong boundaries with her. Let her know that you are an adult and that she is living in your house. Tell her you respectivly hear her concerns and you understand she cares about you but that you are an adult and you will no longer be treated like a two year old by her. Change is hard and can take a while so be patient but set your boundaries and stick to them. It often gets harder before it gets easier but if you stick with it, it will get easier. Let her know that if she berates you that you will not take it and you will walk away from her. Then take a walk around the block and take a breather.

Does she need constant supervision? If not then set up time when you are getting out of the house. If she does need constant supervision then hire someone who can come in and supervisor here while you go out and get some "alone" time.

If you are interested then therapy can also help. It will allow you to be able to vent to someone and get constructive assistance on how to change and make this a better situation for your. I hope this information helps. Let me know if I can assist further.