Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Mild Cognitive Impairment question My wife has just been diagnosed

Customer Question

Mild Cognitive Impairment question
My wife has just been diagnosed with MCI. I don't understand the "mild" in this. She is not only experiencing confusion and memory problems, but additionally she is incontinent (both fecal and urine) as well as getting lost, pacing, and repeating the same things over and over. The Geriatrician who diagnosed her says she doesn't need medication. However, I live with her and realize how seriously she has declined in the last few months. Shouldn't she be on medication to attempt to slow down the process? She sleeps very little even though she has been given sleeping medication. About the most she sleeps is 2 hours at a time.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

1)What is your wife 's age ?

2) has a CT scan of brain carried out on her ?

3) along with above complaints has she also become agitated , disorientated with time and palce and person , as in, not able to know what time it is , what day and date it is , and unable to recognise near and dear ones or recall their names or her own home address ?

Kindly answer a few questions against their numbers , and i shall get back to you with an appropriate reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She is 57 years old
Yes a CT scan has been done
Yes to most of the questions. She knows everyone, unless it is someone she hasn't seen for a few weeks. Then with some help, she will recall them and usually their name. She still knows her address but confuses our phone number with my parents number.
Thanks for the Reply ...

Well, from your answer it is suggestive that your wife is suffering from Dementia , usually Alzheimer's dementia is seen above 65 years of age , but sometimes it may start early also , but nonetheless , a CT scan must have revealied some atrophic areas in the brain or some pathology .

Anyways , the Mild cognitive impairment that the doctor is talking about , is actually Dementia in psychiatry term , and cognitve impairment is a characteristic feature of dementia , however , it does not seem that she is having mild cognitive imapairment , but it seems like somewhat Moderate cognitive impairment .

So, yes her progressively worsening cognition can be slowed down by use of drugs such as Donepezil along with memantine , but , first of all you need to get her evaluated for Dementia by a psychiatrist , who will assess her dementia and level of cognitive impairment by carrying out Mini mental status examination , which is point based diagnostic tool to know the level of cognitve impairment . And based on the diagnosis of the Dementia and the level of cognitive impairment , the psychiatrist would put her on the required doses of Aricept (Donepezil )and Namenda (memantine).

The combination of these two drugs is usually given to Dementic patients to slow down the process of cognitive worsening , which actually is the hallmark of Dementia .

Kindly look at the links below for further understanding .

So, i suggest that you get your wife evaluated by a psychiatrist and then get her started on the above mentioned medications , i am positive that these medications will lead to improvement in her present level of cognition .

I hope this helps..

I wish your wife best of health ... God bless..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.