Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

How can I cure my paruresis,is been with me now for over 39

How can I cure my paruresis,is been with me now for over 39 years. Hypnosis doesn,t work for me. Is there any other way? thank you for your answer.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
Paruresis as you well know tends tobe a rather difficult problem to cure. It is the inability to urinate when another is present or thought to be present. Luckily it is limited in it's scope. Obviously the first thing which you have probably done in the last 39 years is to have a thorough urological exam. Assuming that that is normal I would advise a course of cognitive behaviorial therapy. A number of medications have been used, especially the antidepressants of the SSRI class, anxiolytics such as xanax, and drugs to block urine retention. Unfortunately they all come with "negative baggage". Lstly some people catherize themselves, a much more practical effort for woman. The medication Neurotin has shown some promise-you need to work with a qualified urologist and go through the steps-candidly with no guarantee of success.

I wish you the best of luck. Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.
Ralph LMHC