Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

hi id like dr kushick to answer.Iam considering starting prozac

hi id like dr kushick to answer.Iam considering starting prozac soon but also
are there any blood tests like the y450 test that can predict prozacs outcome in pepole i remember reading about that.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, as far as i know there is no such premptive cytochrome p 450 blood test that is being done anywhere in the world , may be i am unaware but can you please send me a link of the site where you read it , so that i can tell you specifically whether what you read is authentic oris it just a gimmic by so called author to seek attention of patients , as many such claims are made nowadays , where in one can know even before the use of drug whether it will help you in overcoming your problem or not , come to think of it , all of us have variability to our responses towards different medications , so how can one predict the outcome of one drug as , many times it so happens that one drug which benefits one patient , is totally ineffective for second patient .

So, i am not aware of such test , and probably there is none of such authentic test available till date ..But i am open for correction , and kindly forward the link if you remember the site where you read it.

I hope this helps...

I wish you all the best.

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

its called the cp450 test and it was for predicting i think adverse effects if you

google cp450 it will show it.

Ok the cyp 450 blood test , that you are talking about is called as Prozac dene test , which is carried out on the basis of the principal that there are few genes in the body which either make the body less responsive to anti depressants such as prozac or result in untoward side effects , and so by this prozac gene test one can find out what type of gene is hindering the response to anti depressant , but the main indication for carrying out this test is intractable ( treatment resistant ) patients , however such prozac gene test is avaliable at only few sites in England , may be contacting Royal college of psychiatrist can divulge more on the authentic testing centers for prozac gene test in UK .

kINDLY see the link below ..

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/114040.php

I hope this helps...

I wish you all the best..

Regards...