Dr Jef Burk
Dr Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MRCGP
5101698

Dr. Can someone have a cycle of GAD. Is there a diagonis

Customer Question

Dr. Can someone have a cycle of GAD. Is there a diagonis of bi-polar anxiey? Thanks!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 5 years ago.
Hello.
It appears that you are waiting for a psychiatrist to answer your question; However please review my profile and let me know if you wish to wait for a psychiatrist or would like me to provide an answer.
Sincerely,
Ralph LMHC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Ralph,

Can you help me with my anxiety. I seems to cycle with me. I hold all the anxiety inside until it gets so much for me. I can not seems to relax. A lifetime problem. Very busy, driven person. Great worker, but when life sucks, I just can't sleep. If I don't sleep, my body starts to break down. Sore joints, poor concentration, poor memory, sluggish and etc.

Expert:  Dr Jef Burk replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Can I ask for how long you have suffered from GAD?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr Jef,

I think I have been like this all my life! Just thinking back, I was having anxiety, most of the time.

Toni

Hi

Are you aware that GAD is considered a lifelong disorder and that relapses and remissions are the rule?

Dr Jef
I am opting out as it appears Dr. Jeff has pick up the question, before I could get back to you.]'
Sincerely,
Ralph LMHC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Really, what you recommend for to do when I'm having a relapse. The seraquel is so not right for me. I can't relax most the time. I feel working kind of mask the anxiety for me. Until, I'm overwhelm with a situation, then I regroup my mind, like back off some of my overworking for my friends and family.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you still helping me?
So as to avoid confusion, I had opted out and asked Dr. Jef to continue-good luck and best wishes. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX
Hi

Sorry about all this - my fault entirely.

Ralph is logging off now so I will stay with you.

Dr Jef
Bud

Can I ask when you last had any medication?

Have you ever had CBT - cognitive behavioral therapy?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr Jef,

Today, I had Lexapro 20mg. Never had CBT

Toni

Thanks

How long have you been on the Lexapro for?

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Jef

About 5 years.

Thanks

You really need to consider some CBT.

It is now considered the best choice for GAD.

Longterm results are superior to medication.

Check out the info below.

Dr Jef

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Cognitive-Behaviour-Therapy-(CBT).htm

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Generalised-Anxiety-Disorder.htm

Ask your MD to advise you on a good local psychologist.

Please get back to me if you need to.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dr Jef,

What do you feel about Seraquel? My body does not handle this drug well. I was ask to give a try for 2 weeks and got worse without sleep.

Hi

It's used more often for those with psychotic illnesses.......

Plus you have had it before and it has not "cured" you.

There are drugs to consider - clomipramine for example but my prefered treatment now is very much CBT.

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is that like clonapin?
Hi

No.

It's a tricyclic antdepressant clonapin ( clonazepam) - is a benzodiazepine and simply a sedative - it has minor role only in acute anxiety - it is not a "treatmnet" or good long term choice.

Dr Jef
Dr Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MRCGP
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is this ativan? In the same family?
Hi

No ativan is a benzodiazepine - like clonazepam.

"Benzos" can be used short term to alleviate anxiety but as they are addictive and do not "cure" the problem.

Dr Jef