Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Would a narcissist (our nephew)stoop to stealing (Writing his

Would a narcissist (our nephew)stoop to stealing (Writing his own checks and forging)from the family business in which he is employed? How should we go about confronting him? We are afriad he might be into drugs, but he fits the narcissistic personality disorder to a tee. Please help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
He may have more than one diagnonosis, but what you are describing is lndicative of anti-social personality disorder. Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.
Ralph LMHC
The answer is so brief because the question is and the action is indicative of the diagnostic impression I have provided. There may be more, but it would require more supporting examples of the behavior you question.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Please explain the anti-social pd, and should we confront him? We have always said he has commitment issues. He is always tired and grumpy and he has trouble working with anyone who is in charge. He always has to be in charge. puts down anyone who may not agree with him. He tells stories, for example, he told everyone he ran in the New York City marathon and passed Lance Armstrong. Come on... Had an abusive father (who is an alcoholic) and his mom has Teurette's. She is codependent on the father. we call it dysfunction junction. Althoug he has a very nice girlfriend now. But she bends over backwards for him and does everything for him. I told my husband to have an intervention and get to the bottom of his stealing. But i highly doubt that he will ever admit it. He is going to have to fire him. The only other thing that may be wrong is that he might be into drugs, in which case he needs a whole different course of actions.

Anti Social Personality disorder is characterized by a blatant disregard and violation of the rights of others without any sense of remorse or guilt. This individual would probably be diagnosed as a Personality D/O NOS (not otherwise specified) with anti-social, narcissistic and I venture to say borderline traits (whose most predominant feature is the instability of interpersonal relations). I would definitely confront him, and prosecute him for any criminal behavior that he may have committed. Treatment for this disorder is very often unsuccessful as it is not bothersome to the individual. Therefore, anything that can be done to teach consequential thinking is recommended and law enforcement is clearly one of them. You cannot let the fear of his possible drug use dissuade you from the appropriate course of action. I am sorry that the prognosis is bleak, but that is the reality of the situation. Yes there is family history of problems and there is probably a genetic predisposition, but that does not excuse the behaviors described. Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.
Ralph LMHC