Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

What can I do to overcome a deep depression I have had depression

What can I do to overcome a deep depression? I have had depression on and off for a few years now and it seems to be at its worst - I am having a difficult time getting myself out of it.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hey Chris,

Have you ever seen a doctor about this or had any medication prescribed for it before?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have seen a doctor through Kaiser and also through school. I am currently on Fluoxetine, 60 mg.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hey Chris,
     If you can't afford counseling right now, then I would work with your doctor to make sure your meds are the most optimal for you. If you're on 60mg of Fluoxetine and still feel depressed, they may want to switch you to something else in hopes of getting you to feel better. There are quite a few medications out there right now that are working well for people, but finding the right one doesn't always happen with the first few tries.
     Besides that, I would make sure your nutrition is good, you're exercising and not isolating, watch your intake of alcohol and caffiene. The link below has some good ideas that you can incorporate into your plan.

Thanks for this opportunity to answer your question. If I can be of further help, please let me know.