Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

my husband takes 10mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazapine and 225mg

my husband takes 10mg olanzapine, 15mg mirtazapine and 225mg venoflaxine(225 dose for last 8 days) he seems to have become slightly more agitated and finds it hard to sit still could this be an affect of venoflaxine
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Do you mean to say that your husband hs become extremely restless , even at night , and needs to walk to relieve his restlessness and agitation ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no he can sleep through night he seems to have become more restless during the day when he is sitting down he keeps moving his legs and he keeps moving his arms by touching his head,face crossing his arms then uncrossing them sits forwards then sits back he has only started to do this more over the last 3 days. He worried about everything even though there is nothing to worry about but this has been constant for the last 17 months

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Well, it seems that your husband has developed what is called as Akathisia ( extreme degree of retlessness ) , which is a common extrapyramidal side effect of anti psychotics ( olanzapine is an ani psychotic ) , and anti depressants such as venlafaxine .

Since venlafaxine 's dose has been increased in the past 8 days , plus he has already been placed on an anti psychotic such as olanzapine , so this has summed up to cause akathisia .

So, in this case , what is required is that you contact your psychiatrist and ask him to wean all the drugs , and eventually stop all drugs , most of the times after such stopping of drugs , akathisia on its own resolves , but , sometimes , a psychiatrist may put the patient on a benzodiazepine such as clonazepam or beta blocker such as propanolol , or many a times an anti histaminc such benadryl is also used to treat akathisia .

Kindly look at the links below for better understanding of akathisia and the treatment of it.

So, i suggest that you discuss this with your psychiatrist as soon as pssible , and get all the drugs ommiitted for sometime, but slowly tapering them to avoid withdrawal symptoms , and once the akathisia resolves , then these drugs shall be re introduced , but in smaller doses.

I hope this helps..

I wish your husband rapid recovery to the best of health.

Please press the ACCEPT Button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will ii be credited for my service.