Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

Im female, 28. Ive formed a habbit of day dreaming since I

Customer Question

Im female, 28. Ive formed a habbit of day dreaming since I was 14 year old . I grew up in an unhappy family wher parants almost argued every day, and since then, I start to day/night dream I'll have a loving husband, family and so on. However Im not sure if this is the only cause. Untill now this habbit doesn't seem to go away . I dream of winning a lottery, being a star, a fantastic dancer, a singer, piano player, racing a car, being very educated and popuar, I even dream of being a handsome man having girlfriends. basically anything I saw in real life, if I have a chance, I'd bring it in my "dream"(all very vivid). I dream anytime when I am not busy. It is like Russel crowe in Beautiful Mind, the difference is that Im NOT that serious, I dont have illusion and things like that. I realise that my mind is always somewhere else and cant concentrate on work &study.P.S,Im pretty,funny,sporty,normal, not weird,have friends.But I do need some help as I seem to step a bit out of reality.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i can understand your predicament , as your daydreaming is hampering your performance at work and studies and causing difficulty to concentrate , which means that this habit has become maladaptive .

You see , daydreaming is a very normal physiological phenomena , all of us at some point of a day or days , daydream , and in this daydeams , we tend to reach or aquire those things which are not within our reach in a day to day life or you may say it is a way through which we fulfil our fantasy , and since it places you in such a sureal atmosphere , you want to go there again and again , and thus it may become a habit .

There was no need to worry about this daydreaming , has it not effected your work , and professinonal / study commitments , but since this is the case , so all you need to do is that you can ask your family physician to prescribe you a drug which is usually used in treating attention deficit and narcolepsy ( excessive daytime sleepiness) , called as Provigil ( Modafinil ) , it is a non stimulant drug , this will not only help you with increase in your concentration and focus , but also , it will help you in reducing your daydreaming .

Kindly see the links below for better understanding..

So discuss the use of Provigil in your case with your doctor and get started on it , and i am quite sure that it will benefit you fromrelieving yourself from this habit of daydreaming , plus increase your concentration and focus on your goal.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best...

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dr Kaushik:

Thanks for the reply. I do have concerns shown as following:

1) Provigil is PROVIGIL is a prescription medicine used to improve awakeness in adults who are very sleepy . However, I dont think I am in this case. I have no problem of being awake during the day.

2) Do you have any case study simliar like mine that I can read and know more about it? As I am not sure if my case is a phychological issue or medical one?

I am not sure if I am convinced by your advice or maybe I would understand more if you can explain more or provide me more information?

Many thanks

Thanks for the reply..

Well, i will opt out , and let other experts take up your question..

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Dr Kaushik

Anna, one of the Mental Health Experts sent me an email saying she agrees with your answer. I am not trying to make it difficult, but I am just not sure about the use of PROVIGIL as it said it is for people who are very sleepy during the day. That is why I wonder if this is my case.

Is there any possibility that you can explain it to me as I dont want to see a doctor to prescribe something I am not even convinced. Or maybe you can pass this to other experts.

Many thanks

Hi there,

Well , i have already opted out , and now the question is open for other experts , so it is to the discretion of any other expert who feels comfortable answering the post .

So, i hope you get the answer to your question .