Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
20327072

I nearly fainted 2 years ago while driving my children in the

I nearly fainted 2 years ago while driving my children in the car. Not sure what caused me to feel faint, but I have not been able to drive since without fear if it happening again, which sometimes leads to me actually feeling faint - do you think it could be panic attacks? They have now started happening elsewhere, like in restaurants or the hairdressers.... When it originally happened, I had bllod tests for thyroid, diabetes and a couple of other things, plus blood pressure was taken, but everything seemed normal.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for usuing JustAnswer!

I would think there are a few possible diagnosis and I would really get it checked out with your doctor.

One possibility is syncope. This is when blood flow to the brain in decreased due to reduced blood flow to the heart. This can be tested with a tilt-table study. Please see link for more information http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/19991215/people-with-fainting-spells-may-be-able-to-drive-safely.

The next possibility could be some for of epilepsy. Not all forms of epilepsy are jerking and convolsive. Some you may just pass out or loose aletness. http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/brain/disorders/214.html

It your medical doctor clears both of the above possibilities then I would suggest seeing a psychiatirst since then it is most likely anxiety. But I would rule out all medical conditions first. I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assit any more.