Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Is is acceptable for a toddler (age 4) to sleep in his single

Is is acceptable for a toddler (age 4) to sleep in his single father's bed??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
It very much depends on the cultural background. However here in the West it is time at age four for the child to continue to individuate from his parents and consistant sleeping in his father's bed is not conducive to that process. There of course exceptions. For example when the child experiences a trauma such as the loss of a close relative or pet, he may require the extra comfort and reassurance that sleeping with his father gives, but is time limited and should not be habitualPlease click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.
Ralph LMHC