Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I was sexually abused as a child and now as an adult have difficulty

I was sexually abused as a child and now as an adult have difficulty with having sex with my husband. I have to have all sorts of strange fantasies and take myself out of the situation to have sex I feel very guilty about this My therapist says I should just forget about it and stop feeling guilty and theres nothing that can be done about it Is this good advice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to partially disagree. You have been sexually abused as a child-one of the worst forms of traumatization possible. I do not really believe that it is possible to "just forget about it"'. You need more help from a professional than that. There are therapists who specialize in treating cases of sexual abuse. Maybe you should be seeing a therapist with that type of background. The feelings of guilt are reported by most chold molestation victims. There is an realistic feeling by the child that is carried into adulthood unless addressed and rectified. In sum, I differ and believe that there is a great deal that can be done to treat your sexual abuse and subsequent adult sexual problems, so that sex can become one of life's pleasures and not a trigger for feelings of guilt and possibly terror to the extent that "you have to take (yourself) out of it"!

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.
Sincerely,
Ralph LMHC