Kelley
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
20327072

I am anticipating a diagnosis on my husbands condition which

Customer Question

I am anticipating a diagnosis on my husband's condition which could be anything from diverticulitis to colon cancer. He's sure its colon cancer. He's having a colonoscopy on the 18 of Sept. I am sure that if the diagnosis is cancer, I'll faint, go into a coma, lose control of my bodily functions, sweat profusely, puke, etc, etc. I have NO IDEA how to handle new like this. Never in my life did it occur to me that i would have to. I am totally unprepared and I don't think I have what it takes to support him if he has cancer. How do other people do it? what am I gonna do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for usuing JustAnswer!

First I would suggest you take a few really deep breaths. This is a very scarry time for you and your husband, I hear that, but he has not been diagnosed yet and it could be something not to worry about. When you go in for the results I would suggest you take a trusted family member or friend with you both to help support you for whatever the news is you may be given. That way if you loose control there is someone there to help you through this time.    

If it is colon cancer then there can be treatments that his doctor can suggest and preform. If it is then maybe they caught it early. Here is a link the the colon cancer allinace and there is a lot of information and support groups. http://www.ccalliance.org/

Please, please, please do not take other peoples medications. It could be very dangerous and many people die every year from it. I would suggest you go see a psychiatrist to see if they feel some axiety medications would be appropriate for you during this time in you life while you are anxiously awaiting the news. That way they can get you the correct medication and dose for you.

I wish you the best news possible. Please let me know if I can assit any more.
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience: BSW, MSW, LCSW
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Maybe expecting a satisfactory answer to this question was unrealistic. I was really looking for advise on how to handle bad news. I already know not to take other people's meds but my other choice is to freak out. In addition to my husband and his medical probs, I have my 90 year old mother living with me and she keeps trying to die, also. There is no time for ME to go to a shrink. That's why I came here. But I'm going to accept your answer because you gave one. Not a professional one, and nothing I didn't already know, but thanks for trying.