Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years

I am 35 and he is 39. He doesnt work and lives with my father.

Customer Question

I am 35 and he is 39. He doesnt work and lives with my father. He doesn't even hardly speak to my father due to the fact that my father comes over here to see me and the grandkids. I borrowed money from my father a few years back and my brother says that if I wouldn't have taken the money from my father, he (my brother) would still have a vehicle. My dad sold my brothers truck because he could not afford to fix it and my brother would not get a job. My brother says it is my fault. He says I ruined his life. When we were young children, my brother would throw knives at me and laugh. He had me do sexual things with his friends when I was 7 or 8 years old. He has not even left the house in over 2 years. Would you please try to explain to me what kind of personality I am dealing with? I am so afraid that he may try to hurt or even kill me if he gets the chance. He doesn't want anything to do with anyone that talks to me. But, talks to my 2 oldest kids. Has not met my 2 yr old
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.

Adults who don't have jobs and don't live ont heir own, have some sort of mental illness, but what that is, is impossible to say just from the information you've provided.

I'd be aware of you fears, but not let them take over your life. He is unstable but since he remains in his home, unless he starts going out, you can assume you are fairly safe.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What would make him so hateful towards me? I always helped him everyway I could. How can we get him to be evaluated since he thinks we are all against him?
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.
I don't think there is an easy answer as to why he doesn't like you. If he's paranois and doesn't leave the house - it could be something that is his own private logic.

Getting him evaluated when he is paranoid and doesn't leave the house is going to be difficult.

Does he have any care workers? Is he on SSD? Was he in the military? Use whatever sources you have available - his doctor, lawyer, social worker, whomever he has contact with to get him to a hospital.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No care workers, ssd, or military. He has not spoke to anyone in over 2 years.
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.
THen I'd contact your local social service department. Ask to speak with a social worker and tell them what's going on. They will have a plan of action.

But I will warn you, if he isn't doing anyone any harm, or causing any problems, they usually close the case.

But see.... they may have a better option for you :-)