Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

i believe my son has hyper emotional sensitivity among other

i believe my son has hyper emotional sensitivity among other problems. he goes into burst of rage over very miner thing, he cuts and hits himself. is there any way to relieve this for him without medication? thank you
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
It's highly likely that your son suffers from Borderline Personality Disorder, or some other serious mental disorder or combination of such. There are those who think this can be treated without medication and those who are believe otherwise. In reality, the personality isn't what is treated by the meds, it's the expression of the lack of emotional control such as the impulse to hit or cut oneself. People with this disorder can also suffer from depression or bipolar disorder, which when treated with medication can give them more control over emotion.
To work on the psychological control issues, he would need to work with a counselor who is experienced in treating the condition in the way that you desire (meds or no meds).

I'm going to include a couple links that will give you more information on this so you can decide if its what your son suffers from.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. If you would, please fill out the feedback form after accepting.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you. thanks for the links i will do more research. he doesn't want to see a professional or take medication. so i am limited to the help i can get for him. thank you