Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

I am 27 years old, successful, healthy and happy, but something

I am 27 years old, successful, healthy and happy, but something from my childhood has been bothering me my whole life and I've never felt courageous enough to share it. When I was in late elementary school years, I used to make up stories in my head. The stories were about kids (like me at the time) undergoing sexually-related activities and experiments. Like an orphanage, for example, where young kids would have sex and get pregnant. Is this at all normal stuff for kids to think about? I've always worried that this might mean there's something seriously wrong with me.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to just answer,

You can be assured that what you were doing was age appropriate and "normal" sexual fantasies. It is difficult to understand how sexual fantasies in children play out due to the fact that there aren't kids out there describing these fantasies. Sexual fantasies are part of being human. If you are happy, healthy and successful in your life you can put the past behind, know it was normal and not worry about it anymore. There is nothing wrong with you since this happened many years ago. Everyone has fantasies, it plays a role in life. The way it becomes "deviant" and a problem is when they are all consuming or you act out on them. I hope this helps.
Dr. Keane
Please click accept and leave feedback when you are satisfied.