Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

hi i have aquestion, i have been feeling angry and sad often

hi i have aquestion, i have been feeling angry and sad often i dont feel i am emotional enough i have problems relating to other people i tend to keep people at a distance, and i enjoy getting piercing it gives me such a rush when i get one done. Is there something wrong with me?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.

No, there is nothing wrong, but often when we feel our emotions are shut down - we've cut them off to protect ourself.

Have you considered short term counseling to guide you back into feeling your feelings? The things you've described - trouble relating to other people and keeping people at a distance are the "classic" signs of having cut off your feelings. This is the kind of issue that counseling is designed for - it'll get you back on track in no time.

The piercing may be related in that - it's one way in whioch you get to experience a good feeling! Like you said - you often feel sad and angry - so if the piercing gives you a rush - I can see how that would become something you'd want to keep doing. Again - another reason to do the counseling :-)

Nancy :-)
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience: ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thans for getting back to me so quickly, i have considered counseling but wasnt sure if i needed it. I did some research online and it seems like i might have a mood disorder like depression or bi polar, because i also like buying books and newspapers for no reason just because it also makes me feel good. I do think i need help but i dont want any medication. What do you think? does it sound like i have some sort of disorder or am i just worrying too much?
Expert:  Nancy replied 5 years ago.
I'd have to do an evaluation to know for sure if you had depression - but you can read up on mood disorders and then take that concern to either your counselor or a psychiatrist who can do an evaluation and tell you right then.

Read this: http://mentalhealth.samhsa.gov/publications/allpubs/ken98-0049/default.asp

Basically depression is having a depressed mood most of the time, and also having sleep, eating and motivation/attention and lack of energy issues.

Bipolar is you mood swinging from depression (above) to mania - where you are filled with energy and racing thoughts - have tons of motivation and a disregard for consequences.

Do these sounds like you?