Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

hi - i am coming to the realization that maybe im bipolar.

hi - i am coming to the realization that maybe i'm bipolar. i read "an unquiet mind" recently and i related to every word. . my sister is. my grandparents (though undiagnosed) probably were. (both alcoholics and my grandfather commit suicide)and they all look worse than me, so i've always thought i escaped it somehow. but i couldn't escape that book. and i read it aloud to my husband. and every time i got to a part that i related to, i asked him if he saw it in me, and the answer was always painfully yes.

i'm not happy. i'm never happy. even when i'm happy i find something to not be happy about. it feels like a sickness. something i can't stop. and i don't want to get out of bed either. i don't want to deal with my kids. but i do. and i feel like i'm doing a pitiful job of everything.

i've been in therapy for years. but never medicated. i feel as if my finger has been in the damn and the damn has now broken. i feel scared and out of control of my feelings. help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
HI and welcome.

Now that you have discovered some possible reasons for the way you feel you can start feeling better and living. There are many happy days ahead for you. What I suggest you do first is get some help. Make an appointment with a psychiatrist immediately so that you can get started on getting better. You have symptoms of clinical depression, and you may well be bipolar, let the doctor give you a diagnosis based on his findings and get started on medication. You can't go back and beat yourself up over what you perceive as being awful at your "job" Start with today, see this as being enlightened, you have an illness that can be helped. So it may be a good thing that the damn has broken, now you can let it go and get on living. I know it feels awful now but that can and will change.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Keane
Please click accept and leave feedback when you are satisfied.