Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
13965555

i believe some one i care about is addicted to script drugs

Customer Question

i believe some one i care about is addicted to script drugs but it is totally legal and HIPA laws keep me in the dark as to the # XXXXX they fill each month -list includes fentanyl (frequently double-doses on this med- back is burned from using heating pad), lorazipam (clonazepam), trazadone, topomax, lexpro, percocet, catapres patch, zofran - the individual is 42 years old and somehow wants to be sick...is disappointed when there is no diagnoses (we've been to hopkins)......i don't know how to show she is mentally incapable of making valid medical decisions.......doctors from years ago knew this was coming but no one would listen, now it may be too late
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hello:</p><p> </p><p>Well it looks like you have turned over every rock you can to help your friend. If the treating doctor won't listen you are out of luck. Indeed our HIPPA laws are a double edged sword. I know this may be hard to hear, but you may need to let go and wait to pick up the pieces. Try not to say "I told you so" when it happens.</p><p> </p><p>You may also try to attend Alanon, which is a support group for loved ones of folks who have addiction problems. Your friend is choosing this and you can't stop her. You need to accept that and still be supportive if you can.</p><p>Sorry, I dont have the magic answer. I wish you well.</p>
Experience: APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please e-mail me the number I can call for Alanon or NarcAnon (not for the addict, for the co-dependents) in NC County Delaware or Cecil County MD.
Sorry I could not be more helpful, but addiction is a very nasty disease and part of the problem is that some doctors do not take it seriously, and the laws in our country protect the addict.

You can go to:

http://www.marydelal-anon.org/ to find meetings in both Delaware and Northern Maryland.

I wish you well. Take care.