Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I have noticed to get attracted to the same kind of individuals

I have noticed to get attracted to the same kind of individuals in relationships, they are ofcourse worthless, have baggage that I can point out, but find it difficult breaking away from these rather abusive situations and have trouble healing even after closure is obtained. My main concern today is the similarities I have pointed out in almost all my relationships and the reason for the end is always the same. I am embarrassed about my behaviour the things I do while still in pain even though in my mind I know what I'm fighting for is not good for me my heart has difficulty agreeing. I do feel rather low and desperate about these actions but have no control and I regret
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

1)Kindly can you please elaborate on your behaviour which makes you feel embarrassed , but still are not able to control it ?

2)Have you been diagnosed with any psychiatry disorder ?

Kindly answer the queries against their numbers and i shall get back to you with an appropriate reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

1. I have crashed car windows and used vulgar language that I refuse to be associated with when in normal mode. Cannot let go of making phonecalls that stalk the boyfriend ,even though afterwards that makes me feel easy and worthless. When in the normal state my mind can agree to accepting these wrong doings are hilarious and embarassing (can't face up to them but) but always feel a need to meet and resolve things and hope that I can settle matter never dies, i.e heart wont accept what mind is reasoning, therefore heart overpowers mind, totally no control. If not in a position to do something violent, will be left low, resented and empty.

2. Never been diagnosed with psychiatric disorder, but have family members from both mother and fathers' side with symptoms and fear that it could be genetic.

Thanks for the reply !

Well,from what you have mentioend above , it seems that your anguish over failed relationship has made you Depressed , and all these violent , destructive and abusive acts that you have been doing along with the feeling of hopelessness and helplessess and guilt and low sel esteem , are features of depression. Most of the tmes ,depressed peron would become socially withdrawn , shun away any sort of interaction with others , become irritable and snap at others without any proper reason , and as seen in your case ,the irritabilty can take destructive and violent turn as well.I am mentioning below a link which will throw more light on depression.

So, i will suggest that you consult a psychiatrist , and get yourself evauated for depression , and get started on proper treatment , because psychotherapy ( counseling in lay trems ) that you have been taking for a while cannot deal with your depression alone .

So, consult a psychiatrist , get evaluated and get started on 1 anti depressant such as effexor xr or paxil or prozac , and 1 anti anxiety drug such as Klonopin or prozac or paxil. The combination of these two drugs need to be taken for 2- 3 months and you will become much better , while continue to seek counseling from a psychologist , and let me also mention here , that Cognitive behavioural psychotherapy is the best counseling type for depressed patients , so just get started on it.

Kindly have a look at the links below

I hope this helps..

I wish you rapid recovery to the best of health. Take care..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My main concernis these patterns are repetitive, I make the move to dissociate from them, but cannot live with the choice. Will pschiatric consultation rid me of the problem of attracting this kind of individual in future
Well, yes psychiatric consultation is what you need right now , as there , you will not only be evaluated for depression , but also , the psychiatrist will evaluate your personality type / disorder ,as it may be possible that you are having a certain type of personality disorder since you mention that the pattern is repetitive , such as you may be having a boderline personality ( emotionally unstable )disorder , and for that you need to properly assessed by a psychiatrist and accordingly treated by him.

I AM MENTIONING BELOW A link which will throw more light on Boderline personality .

I hope this helps..