Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

a young man 23 has for years not able to take on many responsabilities

a young man 23 has for years not able to take on many responsabilities at the same time. For example, if he tries to have a job and go to school and have other activities, he will eventually kindo of fall apart. He begins to have skin disorders and other symptoms of high stress and eventually fails in most areas

Your description requires further information to give an intelligent answer. You describe his inadequacies what other quirks or symptoms does he have. and what do wish to know? You described what appears to be a problemed young man, but did not ask a question.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, I am his dad. He is very bright and in a job environment he is really very excellent. He earns the respect and praises of his bosses and coworkers. he just does not seem to be able to handle multiple responsibilities. It seems to stress him out too much. He is generaly good with people but prefers to be alone or with friends unless he really needs to recoop. It seems to effect his life because when he does try, he ends up kind of crashing and falling apart. I have looked over psycological disorders and can't really see a direct disorder that is specific. I guess I want to know if this sounds like a disorder that can be treated with counseling or medication or if he is just a little less functioning that other people. He is planning to go to school full time and doesn't want to try to work even a little part time. I know why, because he just can't handle it. Should I suggest counseling?

Hello:

Thank you for you valuable input, as I now have a clearer of picture of this young man and an idea of his impediments. It sounds like he experiences stress when he is on overload, which does not require an overly great amount. This sounds like an anxiety disorder. He cannot cope withe the stress. Of course you realize it is tenuous to diagnose some one in this manner, but I would venture to say tha he has a generalized anxiety disorder or an anxiety disorder not otherwise specified. I would not advise medication at this point because they all have a greater or lesser degree of addiction potention.unless the "cras" that he undergoes is sever This type of disorder is very amenable to cognitive behavioral therapy.because So I am advising that he go for psychotherapy/counseling. He is lucky in that he has a strong supportive family resource in you. So yes, I would advise psychotherapy/counseling. I would not push him to go to school, but encouage it. It does not have to be all or nothing, He does not have to go full time, he could go part time. Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcome. As always you can email for further info.

Ralph LMHC