Nancy
Nancy, Psychotherapist
Experience:  ABD for a PhD in Psychology, Psychotherapist for over 20 years
16724211

Hi, I have a son, Bryce nearly 12 years old, he has a moderate/severe

Hi, I have a son, Bryce nearly 12 years old, he has a moderate/severe hearing loss which was diagnosed when he was 2. He has always been a terrible sleeper in that he needs to know someone is with him otherwise he is up to the toilet or to me with any excuse - hes cold, hes itchy, hes sick, (I have rightly or wrongly put it down to his hearing loss, must be horrible being in the dark and not hearing any thing). He now sleeps in the same room as his younger brother, but the beds have to be touching. A few years ago I separated from his father, and now we have the children week on week off. I bought a two-story house where I sleep down the bottom and the children sleep upstairs, which is now another excuse. I do feel sorry for him, because he does seem to have a real fear, that he can't seem to overcome, but then at times it seems he doesn't really want to overcome it. He often vomits after I put him to bed which I think is just from him getting himself worked up. what do I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Nancy replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer

Kids can be broken of these issues with the help of a professional. If this jsut started a few weeks or months ago, I could give you all sorts of tricks and tips to fix it, but this is a long-standing issue that has gone on his whole life.

I suggest you see a local child psychologist who can do an evaluation and find out why he feels he needs to be close to others at night, if this is in part, due to his hearing loss, or not and come up with a plan that will help him

Two other things I want to mention: you said he doesn't want to get over it - you are right. This is the way it is for him - he knows nothing different and why change something that is working?

Lastly, he cannot do this without you enforcing the rules the psychologist comes up with, so be prepared to have to do some work with this too :-)

I wish you and Bryce the best of luck!!!

Nancy