Carol Kryder LMFT
Carol Kryder LMFT, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  APA Board Certified, Diplomate,Substance Abuse Professional, 20 years family therapy experience

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar and psychosis. I am hearing

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar and psychosis. I am hearing a voice right now that is asking me a bunch of questions of any negative thing that happened in my life. She also yells and tries to lunge at me and swing but is unable to reach me. My question is why does this repeat. I am fine and then out of the blue I hear the voice or voices for a few days and then it goes away for 1-2 mos then it comes back, why???
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using

If you have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder with psychotic features, you will have psychotic symptoms on the manic end of the bipolar continuum. The voices you hear are called auditory hallucinations, and it sounds like you are having some visual hallucinations, also. It repeats because you cycle either down from the manic episode to normal, or up from the depressive episode to normal for a couple of months, then swing in the manic direction again, which comes with the hallucinations.

My suggestion is that you call your doctor and ask for a medication adjustment. You do not need to suffer with these symptoms. Please let me know if you have additional questions about this issue.

I wish you well. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So what you are saying is that I had a bipolar depression episode and that is when the voices started? The voices are coming due to the bipolar? Can I stop the bipolar depression on my own without adjusting the meds? I am just trying to get a second opinion without having to pay so much to go see another Dr. I've been to different Dr's and they just change my meds or adjust and tell me that this will never go away that they have no answer to what or why this is happening. You are the first person that has explained it to me this way.
The way I see this, and my experience has shown that bipolar folks who hallucinate will usually do so on the manic end of the syndrome. It is also possible to hallucinate on the depressive end, but it is not so common. I doubt that you can stop it on your own, but you could try to learn to live with it.

I am thinking of John Nash,the famous mathematician who lived with hallucinations all his life due to schizophrenia and still got the Noble prize. If you are not aware of him, there is a great movie, called A BEAUTIFUL MIND, which illustrates his life in a very creative and dramatic way. He learned to live with the hallucinations, and even developed a sense of humor about it.

You can also ask the doctor for an anti-psychotic medication, which should stop the hallucinations, but no guarantee, as you probably already know.

I wish you well.    Good luck.