Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

What is magical thinking/contamination Is this an OCD symptom.

What is magical thinking/contamination? Is this an OCD symptom. Sometimes I will think that certain days are contaminated. For example, if I had a bad thought on a certain day, I think that day of the week is now contaminated. Should I just quit thinking this way.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Magical thinking is can be an OCD symtom> It is he inaccurate belief that one's thoughts, words, or actions will cause or prevent a specific outcome that does not demonstrate a realistic relationship between cause and effect. See:
http://www.google.com/url?&q=http://www.rjhresearch.com/ADR/psychconditions/glossarypsychterms.htm&ei=cJ14Sv32EsHVlAeP5NGZBQ&sa=X&oi=define&ct=&cd=1&usg=AFQjCNHA5K7zyS3AVfVf3QyqR7_99ypNjw

It is also a part of a vivid fantady life exhibited by poets and song writers. In any event what makes it a mental illness symtom if it is to such a degree that is negatively interferes with a pertsons functioning. If you truly thought thjat you could contaminate and make it a bad day by thinking it so then it is dysfunctional and a symptom and should not abiide by the thought. Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcome. As always you can email for further info.

Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I just want to get a second opinion.

I think the therapist is telling me that I should not think certain days are contaminated. For example if I had a bad thought on a Wednesday, sometimes I will think that day of the week is contaminated and anything I buy will be contaminated on that day of the week. I know it sounds crazy, but please tell me that I should not be thinking this way.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
I agree with the previous expert's remarks, and your interpretation of them.
Yes, (he and I) are saying that you should not be thinking this way. Contamination is a form of magical thinking, and acting on those thoughts (giving in to the "crazy" thoughts) does not make them go away long term. Proper treatment for OCD will give you both the insight and the mental strength to repel contamination thoughts.

I've listed 2 links: the first one has more information on OCD, and the second one has current research results.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/obsessive-compulsive-disorder/DS00189/DSECTION=symptoms
http://mayoresearch.mayo.edu/mayo/research/whiteside_lab/ocd.cfm

Good luck in your journey!
Anna
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you both for helping me. I have a real problem with contamination. I think somehow my bad thoughts or actions would somehow contaminate certain things or people. This is hard for me to deal with and I just need to shake it off. Going forward I will try to forget about the contamination issues. I will also check out the info you sent me.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
You're very welcome. Your attitude and persistance will take you far!