Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I have been diagnosed with post natal 1yr old child now) and

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with post natal 1yr old child now) and on a high does of sertraline (150mg) these have recently been put up to this amount from 100mg as things (feelings) have been bad. i am still havin problems with my feelings one minute im phsyco throwing things about the other crying for no reson then as nice as ever, i am very paranoid and obsesive i get very angry and agresive for no reason when im at work all i think about is my what my partners up to and who with althou i no he will always be fathful i make things up in my head to make things worse and i dont no why. i eat untill i feel sick and am overwieght, i felt suicidal and wanted to kill my partners daughters before i was on my tablets i dont feel like that anymore but im really unhappy and i have no reason to be i have 2 great kids a loving fiance and a nice house. i think its more than postnatal depresion and that i may me phsyco. i am 23 and feel like lifes not worth living somtimes. please help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Louise,
It's hard to know that you "shouldn't" be feeling one way yet watch yourself lose control. I'm glad to see that you're waiting to hear from a counselor - that will help you.

All that you describe can still be part of your post-natal depression, which can take many forms and be quite severe. If you're not getting relief from the treatment you're recieving right now, then push for a referral to a specialist who can keep tailoring the medications until you don't feel psycho anymore.

If you ever get to the spot where you feel you might really be in danger of hurting yourself or the family, go to the ER or call the ambulance and get the help you need. You don't want to do something you'll regret later.

In the meantime, seek out support for yourself online or in person. Suffering with this alone only makes it worse, and can cause you to feel like you're crazy and hopeless.

http://www.momsquawk.com/blog/postpartum-depression/
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/338/jan15_2/a3064
http://www.virtualpediatrichospital.org/patients/cqqa/postpartumdepression.shtml

Gook luck on your journey!
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hey Louise,
I noticed that you read my answer but didn't accept it - did I miss the boat on your question? If there is more information that will help me give you a better answer, please let me know.
Thanks!
Anna