Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

All of this started suddenly about a month ago. My boyfriend

Customer Question

All of this started suddenly about a month ago. My boyfriend woke up one night with an over whelming feeling of sorrow and crying, he thought that something had happened to someone in his family. He called his mother and all was fine. He cried for a while longer then went back to sleep. The next morning all was fine and he felt good, then about three weeks or so later it started again. He woke up with an over whelming feeling of sorrow and could not stop crying. He has racing thoughts, sudden feelings of fear and sorrow. He has a little paranoia, he sometimes thinks people are acting strangely toward him or saying things that only he hears. These things are not constant and do not happen all of the time. The symptoms are not getting worse but they are not getting better either. He is becoming very frustrated. He also has trouble remembering things now as well. He says that one night it felt like someone had burned his brain, there was a searing pain in his head.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there ,

Welcome to just answer !

Well, getting up in the middle of sleep and crying and feeling sad and apprehensive and worried about family members , this could happen in case of a nightmare , and this can be repeated again also , which is quite a normal thing to occur.

But having said that , the traits shown by your boyfriend which stand out as abnormal are - his paranoia , his belief that people act strangely around him and he hearing non existent voices ( auditory hallucinations )and bizarre thoughts of his brain getting burned .These traits are not normal and indicate towards an abnormal state of mind , possibly the start of psychosis but in order to actually know what is the reason behind his unusual and bizarre behaviour , you need to take him to a Psychiatrist and get him evaluated thoroughly and rule out psychiatry disorder .

I hope this helps..

I wish your boyfriend all the best . Take care..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We took him to the mental health clinic here and the therapist said that it sounded medical not a mental health issue, as the symptoms came on so suddenly with no warning. We then had an evaluation with a nurse at the clinic and she ask him questions about his symptoms and things of that nature and stated that it sounded to her that he had a chemical imbalance. Is it possible that a chemical imbalance can cause the abnormal symptoms he is displaying?

Thank you
Thanks for the reply !

Well, to term such symptoms to have been caused by chemical imbalance , is a vague and non specific term.It is quite imperative that the the nurse was unaware about the real cause of the symptoms , and quite understandably so , as she is not a psychiatrist.

Well, you see there is no denying of the fact that your boyfriend is behaving in a bizarre manner , which appears more to be in favour a psychiatry condition , and a therapist is not the right person to have his evaluation done from ,as a psychiatrist only can carry out the complete mental state examination and also elicit the proper history , so before , his unusual behaviour becomes more aggressive , it is better you get him evaluated by a psychiatrist, so that we can have a specific diagnosis at our hand , and accordingly he is treated .

I am mentioning below a few links which will throw light on the various causes of auditory hallucination and paranoia , which your boyfriend is suffering from.

http://neurology.health-cares.net/auditory-hallucination.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia

I hope this helps ..

Please press the ACCEPT button if youare satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...