Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Three weeks ago my 22-year-old son was given an antibiotic

Three weeks ago my 22-year-old son was given an antibiotic for a bacterial infection. Immediately upon taking it he had two traumatic nights of insomnia with racing heart, high anxiety, strange thoughts. After reading that this can be a side effect of the medication, we stopped immediately. However, he developed a fear of not sleeping and has become depressed. Along with typical depression symptoms, the thought of sleep cannot seem to leave his mind and is frustrating. I had a GP prescribe an SSRI (Paxil) and Xanax. Is the fixated thought part of the depression, and will that go away with therapy and medicaiton?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.
Fixating on an idea when you are depressed is not uncommon. I would have psychiatrist who is more familiar with symptoms and appropriate medication handle it. Your insurance company probably has a list. Paxil which as you say is an SSRI has helped with obsessional thinking. The xanax which is more addicting is indicated in anxiety. The prognosis, since you acted promptly is good and the condition will prpobably abate given the appropriate medication and psychotherapy. Do not dwell on the issue when yoi interact with your sosn. Make it a part, not the sole thing that you relate about. Remember if sees yo overconcerned then he will feed upon it and get worse. Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your feedback and bonuses are always welcome. As always you can email for further info.

Ralph LMHC