Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

I feel pretty depressed and anxious Ive been on Zoloft for

I feel pretty depressed and anxious I've been on Zoloft for years (10 to be precise) at various dosages. Currently I'm taking 50mg as I really want to be off this medecine. I feel like a terrible failure for being depressed in the first place - I genuinely think I should be able to defeat this thing without meds. I have really negative thoughts about my future. Have read lots of self-help books and am in therapy. I just keep going round and round with the same horrible thoughts. I'm also incredibly worried that the meds have simply stopped working and won't work for me again - then what do I do?? Should I up my dosage?   Should I change meds - do they sometimes stop working? Please advise.
Hey Lady HC,

In my counseling practice I've heard more stories of Zoloft having and end point than any other antidepressant medication. Anecdotal evidence, yes, but I've heard it again and again.
Here is a link with at least 4 articles on the issue:

So, you're not a failure! There are many good alternatives out there right now that you could try and will find success with. You'll have that mental energy that can help you in your therapy and your life. Please don't take depression personally - it just isn't something you've done or haven't done. It's a chemical imbalance in your brain that can be alieviated with the proper medication, and counseling alongside it works wonders.

This is what I recommend: talk to your doctor about switching medications and give it a try for at least 6 weeks. You don't feel "right" now, and this could be the ticket. It's worth a're worth the try.

Keep at this till you feel better. Getting down on yourself and blaming yourself for depression will only hurt you further. Take responsibility for your recovery - that is something that is in your hands. You can become positive and energized, and then all those books and therapy will come together for your benefit.

Thanks for the opportunity to answer your question. Please fill out the little feedback form after accepting.