Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

Hi there I suffer from depression and went on Prozac for year,

Hi there
I suffer from depression and went on Prozac for year, which really helped BUT it made me very sluggish and so I put on a few pounds.

I would like to go back on something but something that won't increase my appetite and make me so sluggish.

I've read that Wellbutrin is a good option - is this true?

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards, Casey
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
My patients who have switched to Wellbutrin XL over the past couple years have all felt the relief from the weight gain side effect of the other antidepressants they were on, as well as a lifting of the sexual side effects.
One thing to note is that I've heard from many who tried the generic substitute when it came out, was that it did not have the same properties of the name brand, and that their depression returned. I know this isn't supposed to be the case, but that is what I kept hearing.

Thanks for the opportunity to answer your question. Please fill out the brief feedback form after accepting.
Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Anna

So would you advise that I maybe try Wellbutrin XL for a while and see whether that helps?

When I asked my doctor about Wellbutrin XL (before I went on the Prozac I did a bit of reasearch and found Wellbutrin XL to be the better option) my doctor had never heard of it!

Would you be able to prescribe it online?

Casey

Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Hey Casey,
I can't prescribe it online or in person, as I'm not a physician. What I would do is print out some information on WellbutrinXL and take it in to your doctor for a discussion. You may also want to send a copy in beforehand. It's not a new drug, and it has such a positive response in many people.

If your doctor is still uncomfortable, then I'd visit a psychiatrist who can monitor it for you.

The physician I work with (he doesn't prescribe online) often uses it as his first choice for people who have a sluggish depression. It works in lots of people and has few side effects for most people.

Good luck on your journey!

Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.