Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

My friend needs to talk to a professional confidentially but

Customer Question

My friend needs to talk to a professional confidentially but doesn't have money. It's pretty serious because she's talking about ending her life. Her parents are the cause of this so she can't go to them. I'm trying to find her help.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
JP, you're a great friend! You've said lots of good things to her, and you're right about them.
You mentioned college..if she is in college, there will be some sort of counseling center or counseling referral center at her school that will help her out.

If you feel she is actually in immediate danger to herself, call 911 or take her to the closest ER yourself. They'll evaluate her and will be able to let her know what resources are available locally.

There will also be a county mental health agency that will have a sliding scale fee for counseling. It may take a little while to get in there, but they'll have licensed counselors available.

I'd also recommend the book, "Toxic Parents" as something you both might want to read and discuss.

She can also go to her regular GP and be evaluated for depression and possible medication. All of the health providers will screen her for clinical depression.

Good luck on your journey, and pat yourself on the back for being such a great friend.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank YOU so much.
What is her regular GP?
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome. General Physician or Primary Health Provider...who ever it is she sees for any normal medical issue..   Sorry about that!