Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

I was prescribed diclofenac sodium and cyclobenzaprine after

Customer Question

I was prescribed diclofenac sodium and cyclobenzaprine after hurting my back I have bipolar disorder and take Lithium..........could the combination of these 3 drugs cause a depressive episode?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

I can understand your apprehension regarding the use of these 2 drugs along with lithium , as you would want to look for other options if there is any remote chance for these 2 drugs triggering depression.

But, before i come to the answer let me first brief you up with the actual uses of the 2 drugs .

Well, diclofenac sodium is a Non steroidal anti inflammatory drug taken for pain relief while cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant , and their combination is good for your back pain . But having said that , although Diclofenac sodium is safe for use , without it causing depression , but the same cannot be said about Cyclobenzaprine , as it causes depression as a side effect.

I am mentioning below a link which will throw more light on depression as a side effect of cyclobenzaprine . ( see Side effects , central nervous system side efefcts )

So, i will suggest that you ask your prescribing doctor to opt for any other muscle relaxant instead of cyclobenzaprine while continuing with dicofenac , as there is a chance that cyclobenzaprine may trigger depression , which is otherwise aptly controlled by lithium.

I hope this helps.. TAKE CARE..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was told that nsaid's can cause an elevation of lithium levels(potentially toxic)which in turn can also cause depression
Yes you are right in saying that NSAIDs can cause elevation of serum lithium levels , which may lead to lithium toxicity , but this elevation of lithium will not cause depression to occur , in fact lithium toxicity has got differnt set of distressing symptoms which are quie different from depressive symptoms . So, nsaids may increase the lithium levels in body -- YES , but the increased lithium levels will cause levels - NO.

Also, you may use nsaid , but you need to regular check the lithium levels for toxicity .

Otherwise you have an alternative in a way that either you opt for another mood stabilizer instead of lithium such as Divalproax or lamictal , OR use Opioid analgesics for your back pain.

I hope this helps ..

Kindly discuss the above given options with your treating doctor .

I wsh you best of health.