Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

My husband is on Amoxicylan for Lymes Disease which has just

My husband is on Amoxicylan for Lymes Disease which has just been diagnosed. His Dr. took him off his antidepressant (Zoloft). Is that normal and if we are looking at a long treatment with Lymes's I think he needs the antidepressants. He is increasingly extremely angry. For me, his wife, well I'm about to move out unless he gets on anti depressants again
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.
Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i can understand your concern about your husband , and i agree with you on this , but you should understand that although researchers have found Depression and anxiety associated with Lyme disease when it is in its Third stage , but no official documentation in an internationally acclaimed Text or JOURNAL has been done so far , and this is the possible reason as to why your doctor is refuting your point of view and has taken your husband off zoloft.

But having said that , since your husband has been a diagnosed patient of Deprssion so it is advisable that he continues on the anti depressant ,as if the lyme disease reaches the 3 stage , so there is a possibility that the otherwise controlled depression may get triggered which wil worsen his clinical picture even further, plus continuing amoxacillin with zoloft does not pose any harmful drug interactions, so i do not think if he continues your husband on both these drugs , there is any harm , but if he doee not use zoloft then this poses a threat for depression to occur.

I am mentioning below a few links which will be helpful in establishing a link between the lyme disease and depression.

http://www.medicinenet.com/lyme_disease/page2.htm ( see symptoms and signs )

http://www.rxlist.com/zoloft-drug.htm ( see drug interactions )

So, you shall show and discuss this above mentioned with your husband's doctor and get your husband restarted on the zoloft.

I hope this helps.. Take care..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..