Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

My otherwise happy& heathy 5 year old said that he would like

Customer Question

My otherwise happy& heathy 5 year old said that he would like to "kill and eat people" after playing "attach and kill" videos on the Internet. Comment came after playing nascar racing . (Cars crashing and burning.) I asked is that what you really want to do? He said yes and laughed. We were laughing and having a great time up to that point.

Our son never had a "time out" in 3 mos. of Preschool and 6 mos. of PreK. He is liked by students and teachers. He gets so angry 2 or three times a year he will vomit because he is so worked up. This happened during the last week of PreK and it scared the other students. Wife had a sit down with School Psychologist. Just asked about Family history of Mental dis. Wife and I are both quick tempered but have calmed down some . Question: Is the "Kill and eat" comment a reason to seek treatment?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

I would not worry about you son'scomment. At five years old imagination is a key player in their development so it sounds like he is quite normal. He doesn't get what "kill and eat" really means. I would keep an eye on him in terms of his anger as rare as the it may be that he gets so angry he vomits.There are plenty of age appropriate anger management books for children that you might want to read to him and a lot of activity based games that teach children (and adults!) how to express and manager anger.
Here is a web site I give parents to look at for help.
http://www.angriesout.com/index.htm#kids

I hope this helps.
Dr. Keane
Please click accept and leave feedback when you are satisfied. I am available for follow up.

Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, there is no need to respond to this by accepting but I neglected to make a comment on playing video games. Make sure they are age appropriate and not violent "killing" games. He is at an age where any games that teach basic skills of reading, math and so on are more appropriate and they make them fun for kids. Nascar may be too advanced, there are racing car games available for his age group. Also if you see him getting worked up and angry try and do some slow deep breathing with him, that may help calm him down. Good Luck.
Dr. Keane