Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Dr my girlfriend was abused as a child and later was a victim

Customer Question

Dr: my girlfriend was abused as a child and later was a victim of physical and emotional abuse as a adult. She has overcome educational professional issues and has raised 2 children without continuing the cycle. She has been evaluted treated and released by 3 different therapists but is still having difficulty in trusting me and has spells of anxiety where her fight or flight reflex is in high gear. Is ther ANYTHING I can do to assist her in overcoming these emotions.?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

First allow me to inform you that I am not a doctor, I am a licensed Mental Health Counselor. That being said It sounds like you have a significant amount of knowledge in the field of mental illness. It also appears that you are a firm friend who has taken her symptoms in stride and not allowed them to effect you personally, Here I think you are right on target, but it is necessary to inform her when she does something inappropriate albeit in a non-judgemental manner. It is admirable that she has not continued the cycle of abuse with her children and you should reinforce such appropriate behaviors when you see them. You can also suggest that possibly she return to therapy or group thertapy if she is having a difficult time of it. I believe you should continue as you have been doing as your actions are those of a good, caring friend with insight into emotional problems. I do not believe there is much more you can do to assist her than what you have already done. Just continue to act the same and be there for her. If you found this information helpful please check off the green button so I lknow thyat it has been helpful and so I can be compensated and feedback is always appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you sir for your time and advice. I appreciate the positive feedback. I want you to know that I was completely ignorant to the extent of this problem before meeting this wonderful person. I hope and pray she will be able to live a happy and full life in time. I will suggest further counseling to her and see if she's accepting of the idea- she has indicated to me tat sh doesn't feel there is any more counseling can do for her but I'lltry anyway. If yu think of anything further I can do please tell me at XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX.

Thank you and GOD bless!:

Markus

I think you sre on the right track in gently leading her towards treatment. It is amazing how helful med can be in alleviating symptoms.

Sincerely,

Raklph LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks again sir, I will be sure to speak to her whwn I see her tommorrow. I appreciate your input and guidance. Good luck in the future and rest assured I will be reccommending you and your service in the future.

Markus

Thank you for your appreciation. It is a pleasure to help such a caring steadfastfriend, Olewase if you have a chance, read the feedback that I left on you..

Sincerely,

Ralph LHC