Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I am suffering from depression and loneliness. Am currently

I am suffering from depression and loneliness. Am currently seeing a therapist, but at my second session I found I didn't know what to say. Is this normal behavior? Can a therapist get to the root of my problems if I don't know what to say?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

First it is quite common to be almost non-verbal at your second session, especially if you were open at the first session It is a known syndrome to withdraw after exposing yourself. You need to share this concern with your therapist. Always carry a note paid and jot down the things you wish to talk about as they arise. Part of the responsibility belongs on the therapist to bring out material from you and if he/she can't or wont, it might ne appropriate to find another. One of thie ssues is trust, you must have a sense of trust. Initially based upon faith and as you share and are helped you will share more. I see it like an investment. You do not put in all your money at once. You start with a little and if it pays off, invest more. Similarly in therapy. Don't be a fraid to write down what you wisj to talk about and bring the list to your session. Interestingly, I ask Patient to start at the end as what may seem like the least important may prove to be the most important.

If you have found this information helpful then please press the green accept button so that I know that the info was helpful and so I can be compensated, and of course feedback is always welcome.

Ralph LMHC