Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

I feel emotionally disconnected with life. I have no reason

I feel emotionally disconnected with life. I have no reason to be unhappy. I have a very busy life and have had several stressful things happen to me but I just can't seem to fully get into living. I saw my endocrinologist last week and he suggested counseling. I'm not sure I can change. I feel like my feelings and behaviors are so deep seated that they can't be changed but I fell a genuine desire to want change in my life.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to just answer.

You have taken the first step to "change" by writing. Your doctor is correct in suggesting you see a counselor. Sometimes we need to make changes in our lives, some small, some large. You have experienced stressful situations, have a busy life and "can't fully live"..so the first thing I would ask you is what do you do for you? what does your life consist of in terms of time, play, exercise etc. A busy life does not necessarily mean a full life. Do you stay busy because you have to? need to? You are at an age where many woman feel like you. Something is missing, something is not being fulfilled. Tell me more and I will be able to help you.
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience: Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have 3 boys, a wonderful husband that tries to make me happy, but doesn't communicate his own feelings well.   I do allot of volunteer activities with cub scouting, church, school and my mother had a stroke back in March. I really don't feel that my age has anything to do with my feelings, I've never felt like I belong in any situation. Each event/activity I do is exciting but uncomfortable. I look composed on the outside but not on the inside. I have also been a type ! diabetic with very good health for the last 26 years, but I need to get better control with that so that my good health can hopefully continue. I've had several friends and my only brother to pass away 2 years ago from complications of Type 1 diabetes and methamphetamine/other drug use. I want to seek a local counselor but don't want to take drugs. I'd just like to have normal emotions. I have lots of wonderful things in my life.
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 4 years ago.
Kelly....You sound like you would really benefit from cognitive behavioral therapy. You have grief issues that may be best served by talking to a therapist. If you have gone through life on the fringe so to speak, not fully invested in life, then it's time for you. Just because you have wonderful things going on in your life there are some other things going on that you should investigate. Therapy for some works just as well, if not better, than medications. You would also be well served to get your husband to talk about his feelings. One technique I use for couples is to have them each write a list of things they feel about each other, good, bad, indifferent, whatever.......take the list and go out to dinner and let each other read the lists. You'd be surprised how much of your non verbal communication gets written down....try it. It's a start. If you can get him to therapy with you (after you have been there awhile) that would help too. If he has been a wonderful husband but isn't a good communicator regarding his feelings, then you have a guy who is true to the old adage...actions speak louder than words...could that be you too!! You do it all but hold it all inside....???? I hope your mom is better and I hope this helps.
Dr.Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any suggestions on finding a good counselor in my area?
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 4 years ago.
where do you live?
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm located in Cumming, Ga. I'm close to Gainesville, Alpharetta, Dawsonville, and Atlanta.
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 4 years ago.
Hi Kelly,

I hesitate to suggest anyone I do not personally know and I am not from that area.
check with your local mental health center, You may also find individual therapists in the phone book. Call them and ask if they do cognitive behavioral therapy. I am sure you will find someone to help you. Good Luck.
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just one last question, I am also experiencing a loss of words when speaking and loss of memory. Does this sound like a problem for a neurologists, psychiatrist ???
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 4 years ago.
Hi again

I would talk to a neurologist to make sure there isn't any organic problem. It may be due to stress and all that you are feeling right now but it's better to check it out to be sure. Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist